FOLIAGE SOLUTIONS – VERTICAL GARDENS & LIVING WALLS
WE COMBINE A PASSION FOR CREATING IMPACTFUL SPACES THROUGH THE USE OF FOLIAGE, WITH AN UNWAVERING COMMITMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY.
Our passion, and speciality is creating major statements using foliage for both commercial and residential structures. A foliage structure is a perfect pairing of design aesthetic with urban sustainability, and a driving force behind the creation of SRS Group. Whether internal or external, show us an under-utilised space and we will dramatically bring it to life, quite literally, with the use of foliage. Our enthusiasm for living foliage structures is two-pronged – it offers an edgy, on-trend yet soft design aesthetic, along with proven environmental benefits for both people and Mother Nature.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT SYSTEM FOR YOUR NEEDS
We offer two foliage support systems – 1) living walls and 2) green screens – which differ through their varying use of suspension mechanics and fullness of the actual greenery. We work with you to help select and customise a solution for your space.
No matter what living wall or screen you chose, your support system will be long-lasting, require low-maintenance and be highly resilient to seasonal climate changes due to the quality of products used, such as 316 marine grade stainless steel for rods, rigging and fixtures. Plus, we always partner with New Zealand experts in plant selection, sourcing and maintenance. This helps ensure the right foliage is selected for your end vision, that the right irrigation system is installed with an ongoing maintenance plan to keep your structure always looking its best.
We have installed foliage systems throughout New Zealand thanks to our mobile rigging service.
- Our screens can be compared to the traditional wooden trellis, where a frame is constructed and stakes or batons are overlapped / crisscrossed to support growing vines. We offer screens in stainless steel which are visually appealing, non-corrosive, are long-lasting and can be used for small to large-scale façade coverage.
- There are two options for the internal part of the trellis frames that are designed for creepers and climbing plants to ascend – either a tensile mesh netting or vertical/horizontal/diagonal wire cables. Foliage grows from the bottom of the structure – most likely through the use of a planter box.
- Green screens are used to increase the visual impact of a façade or to hide the less desirable appearance of substrate that will sit behind it. They are designed to allow a glimpse of the substrate behind.
FOLIAGE LIVING WALLS
- Foliage living or green walls are typically a large structure with the bulk of the structure typically being made from wood or water-resistant canvas similar to a tarpaulin. Here at SRS Group however, we offer metal fabricated alternatives that are hard wearing and typically longer lasting. They are then suspended over surfaces such as concrete, brick, metal and other types of cladding.
- A living wall is made up of plants that are inserted into a growing medium – being soil or hydroponic – where they grow from within the wall. This differs to screens which grow/climb up from soil in a planter box at the base of the structure and use different foliage for doing so. Living walls can be used on exteriors of buildings facades or indoors where they can be created into a makeshift freestanding internal wall or divider.
- Green walls offer maximum coverage with thick and abundant foliage and the solid structure blocks out whatever is behind it. Green walls are usually foliage dense but can be utilised in a subtler way dependant on plant selection.
What part does SRS play in the construction of Living Walls?
SRS Group provides customised vertical garden solutions to create an impact using the two different systems mentioned above. These vertical gardens breathe life – via, native plants, leaves, foliage and flowers – into otherwise drab exteriors or surfaces, whether it’s a commercial building or a residential space, helping to improve air quality.
Nature has provided us with a huge variety of colours, textures, patterns and sizes to work with and this ‘living art’ offers a ‘wow factor’ using innovative structures to extend beyond traditional horizontal planes into the vertical. Whether it’s indoors or outdoors, a large or small space, living walls come in all shapes and sizes. The use of living plants creates an environment that is relaxing and peaceful, whether it’s at the office or at home.
Espalier Wire Training
One of the key systems we use when creating a Living Wall or Vertical garden is an espalier wire system to help train the plants to grow up and create a vibrant, healthy wall. The key to a good espalier wire system is the amount of tension you can get on the wire as well as the spacing of the wire. Our expert team use espalier wire tensioners to ensure the plants do not cause the wires to sag, helping to train the plants to grow up and out. Espalier wire spacing is also crucial as you need to allow enough space for the plants to grow out. The types of plants you use will dictate the amount of spacing you need and that’s where our team can help to advise.
What can I achieve by using a Living wall?
Living walls offer maximum coverage with thick and abundant foliage. Are you looking to make a statement on the façade of a commercial or residential building? Ever dreamt of completely covering an unappealing and unattractive wall in your home? Living walls could be your answer. Although Living Walls can be used to cover areas by mass amounts of foliage – they can also be utilised in a more subtle way dependant on what plants you have in mind. If you have a particular image in mind we would love to make it come to life. We love to work with New Zealand native plants and our living walls take hanging gardens to the next level.